Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Tutorial on Wireless packet sniffing

From: "Michael Painter" <tvhawaii () shaka com>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 12:28:55 -1000

----- Original Message ----- From: "Joey Peloquin"
Subject: Re: Tutorial on Wireless packet sniffing

[snip]
For the record, I did a little research on this NNW business the day of Michael's post, and found no ties to the DHS whatsoever. I reported the organization to the DHS, EFF, and The Register. The EFF responded a short while later explaining they already knew about it, but nothing more.

One needs look no further than his blog [http://itp.nyu.edu/blogs/ecm292_thesis/] to know for certain this is completely bogus;

This comment, from his blog (Ankaboot), could be prophetic: (thanks for the link, btw)

"So potentially at least, you're pushing some hot buttons here. I'd suggest that you acquire some legal oversight ~ a lawyer or two, that is ~ before you start passing out packet sniffing results to anyone, or in any way going beyond the one-to-one relationships between you and each of your sniffers. I think it would be wise to consider the possibility of a lawsuit against your sniffers (for acquiring personal digital information) and you (for soliciting that) and check with an attorney just to be on the safe side."

Otoh, he probably doesn't have to worry about getting heat from any Fed. Gov't. agency .<s>

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9926899-7.html?tag=nl.e433

--Michael