Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Testing the user community

From: Carl Jongsma <info () skiifwrald com>
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2007 16:44:32 +1030

Hello Kurt,

You might be interested in a recent writeup on the emergence of a new phishing technique that has been experienced in the wild. If you are able to create a fake phishing attack that is equivalent to it, then it is pretty much guaranteed that your users will not pick up on it. The following is a cut and paste from the other lists where it was sent, but you should be able to work out enough from the details in order to scare your users.

For those interested in the original FD/SF phishing email about a new phishing technique being employed on a professional networking site (late last week), the investigation and subsequent report have been published. Readers of 'The Register' will note a write up already in place with some feedback from the site involved. Although the claim of 10 or so reports per month of similar scams being made are probable, I doubt that many (if any) have taken as much detailed involvement from the scammer before the phish is set.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01/29/ecademy_419_scam/

You can find the report at the following address:

http://www.beskerming.com/marketing/reports/index.html

Or, for the direct link:

http://www.beskerming.com/marketing/reports/ Beskerming_Phishing_Report_Jan_07.pdf

A higher detailed version is available upon request, which includes sufficient detail in the account screenshots for the profile text to be legible.

An Executive Summary for those who don't want to read the report:

- Yes, it was a scam. The scammer started out with a stolen identity, maintaining it all the way through the scam (even when confronted) - Ultimately it was a 419-style phish / scam that was traced back to Nigeria - The first recorded use of the particular stolen identity was November 06, with a very similar scam (though a more traditional mass spam email). - The scammer invested at least 2-3 days of communication and trust- building before beginning to seed the phish / scam - The initial round of the phish bait was mild enough to almost be missed. - The Networking site was VERY prompt in addressing the situation once notified (less than 5 minutes to remove the account when it reappeared and they were notified again). Props to Ecademy in this case.
 - Sometimes you just need to be paranoid.

Any questions or queries, just ask them.

Carl

Sûnnet Beskerming Pty. Ltd.
Adelaide, Australia
http://www.beskerming.com