Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Lab OS Choices

From: "Nikhil Wagholikar" <visitnikhil () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2007 09:53:05 +0530

Hello Peter,

For beginning your Pen-Testing skills & setting up a Lab for the same,
I feel you could easily go for setting up following OS in your test
Lab:

1. Windows 98 SE
2. Windows 2000 Prof/Server/Adv Server SP0
3. Windows XP SP0
4. RedHat Linux 8 or 9 (with no patches)
5. OpenBSD 3.0 (no patches)
6. Sun Solaris 7 or 8

Besides these, you can install some applications like vsftpd, apache
(<1.3 version), sendmail (<8.11 version) etc, since these applications
had lots of bugs in them for you to exploit them as practice session.

For practicing Pen-Testing you can make use of Metasploit framework
(http://www.metasploit.com/projects/Framework/downloads.html). Also
automated tools like Nessus will also aid in developing your
Pen-Testing skills.

Best of Luck !!

----
Nikhil Wagholikar