Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Lab OS Choices

From: Shaon Diwakar <shaon.diwakar () yahoo com au>
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2007 18:01:53 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Peter, see responses below:

"Your advice on the internet connection is directed at when I start
doing things remotely correct? since my labs would be internal.  For
my internal work I was going to buy some Cisco 2950 switches to play
with, which came from another post."

Yup, I thought you might have wanted to be doing pen testing for external boxes, but if that isn't the case any
standard Internet connection should suffice.

"I am rural so I don't know that ADSL2 would be available, and where I
am moving I know I can get fiber, cable and standard dsl.  Will cable
handle the exotic port scans? or do I need to go with fiber if ADSL2
is not available?."

All the above technologies will would work great, its just a matter on understanding what your ISP puts between you and
the Internet e.g. some have transparent proxies or firewalls and anti-virus gateways between you and the Internet. The
varying technologies only really differ in their link speed/throughput, they will all handle IP traffic in much the
same way. You should go with the best connection you can afford - but be sure to check that your ISP doesn't add on
bells & whistles which could interfere with your test procedures (i.e. transparent proxies etc. etc.)

Good luck & have fun with the new lab!

Cheers,
sHz