Penetration Testing mailing list archives

RE: Password "security" - was"Passwords with Lan Manager (LM) under Windows" and "Whitespace in passwords"

From: "dave kleiman" <dave () isecureu com>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 13:32:10 -0400

Pierre,

I beg to differ with you.   I have utilized our company lab to test many
cracking tools. (Cain, L0pht, and AccessData)  The fact that they allow
custom character sets does not work against certain portions of the extended
ASCII set, because there is discretion in the mappings.

Try this:

Open word and wordpad.  Try ALT-228 in both, see the difference. This is
where I have found the problem stems from, because it is only the ALT
characters that map differently that the "crackers" cannot crack.

Mark Burnett is writing new book "Perfect Passwords: Selection, Protection,
Authentication" maybe there will be some light shed on this subject from
there.

Regards,

Dave