Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Topology Discovery

From: Javier Fernandez-Sanguino <jfernandez () germinus com>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 19:03:19 +0200

Javier O. Augusto wrote:
There used to be a very nice tool called "cheops" & "cheops-ng" back in
the day. I really don't know what happened to that project, just go
google it..

Cheops (http://marko.marko.net/cheops/) is no longer maintained and might need some changes to make it compile with newer libraries (ucd-snmp related mostly) or to compile with newer gcc versions. I've been fixing some of these bugs in the Debian version (patches and all available at http://packages.debian.org/unstable/net/cheops). Its functionality now is also very limited (uses 'queso' for OS detection for example)

Cheops-ng, however, is being maintained, uses nmap for OS detection and should be, overall, much better than Cheops. For more info see http://cheops-ng.sourceforge.net/ and http://sourceforge.net/projects/cheops-ng/

Regards

Javier

Audit your website security with Acunetix Web Vulnerability Scanner: Hackers are concentrating their efforts on attacking applications on your website. Up to 75% of cyber attacks are launched on shopping carts, forms, login pages, dynamic content etc. Firewalls, SSL and locked-down servers are futile against web application hacking. Check your website for vulnerabilities to SQL injection, Cross site scripting and other web attacks before hackers do! Download Trial at:

http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/pen-test_050831