Penetration Testing mailing list archives

RE: FW: Mapping Class A network ( any easy trick?)

From: "Navin Johnson" <printerscanner () hotmail com>
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2005 12:09:37 -0600

Here is how I attack this problem:
- Use DNS first to get a list of potentially live IPs
 - Try doing a zone transfer to get a list of IPs
- Try resolving the IPs to hostnames and look for PTR records (perl works well for this, Michael Fuhr wrote a script called mresolv.pl that does this)
- Traceroute to the live IPs to get a list of all the network device IPs
- If they use a standard like all routers are at .254 or .1 or .100, make a list of potential IPs for routers and ping those. - Take a listing of all the live addresses you have at this point and break them into class C ranges.
- Ping the class C range

If you can get access to a router, you can then do a 'show ip route' to see if you missed any ranges.