Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Mapping Class A network ( any easy trick?)

From: John Thomas <mjohn2000_99 () yahoo com>
Date: 12 Feb 2005 04:23:44 -0000

Thanks everybody for your advice, they were very helpful.
I forgot give u details about my scan. It is a private network consists of about 10,000 hosts. I am planning this step
as the first step of the penetration testing (well, I may have to cut down to vulnerability scan like u guys
suggested).

I am thinking about going for nmap pingsweep. That would give me all (well most of them) IPs.  I am also looking into
some of the tools and tricks(DNS, snmp, etc) suggested by you.  Nmap was doing a pretty good for me, so I can’t just
give away my friend. ;)

Well, thanks again guys

Hi,

I once used a program called networkview to scan a Class A network. In
4 hours it was at 36% of the scan. I was scanning for "normal" ports
and a few others of my concern. Very impressive, very fast. I was
using a 3Mbps download 256Kbps upload connection at the time.

Some info from publisher:

NetworkView 3.1 Rating:   5/5

License: Shareware

Price: $79.00

Expires after 30 Days

Information:
This is a compact network discovery and management tool for the Win32
platform. It will discover all TCP/IP nodes and draw a full graphical
map, including routes, from DNS, MAC Addresses, SNMP, WMI and TCP port
information. It can also poll the network and send an e-mail when
nodes are unreachable.
With more than 11,000 entries in its SNMP and MAC address databases,
it can be used from a floppy disk. Full print and print preview
capabilities for maps and lists are included.

Note: SNMP must be installed, and administrator rights are necessary
for discovery and monitoring.

Additional Software Required:
SNMP

Cheap and fast. That's how I like it.

Note: I do not work for the publisher nor will I get money for this
(Damn, I should get money for this!).

Hope it helps.

On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 09:34:10 -0800 (PST), John Thomas