Penetration Testing mailing list archives

RE: Reverse Engineering thoughts

From: "Brett Moore" <brett.moore () security-assessment com>
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2004 10:13:01 +1300

Heyall

JC, Agreed and the traditional cracking stuff can come in handy
in the right situation.

Say I am pen-testing an application...It requires authentication
credentials to run.
Also, the software has a demo mode & full version mode.

Not much to go on so I'll take a stab in the dark.

Application is custom written 2 parts, client and server.
Server listens for connections from clients
Client has 2 modes / demo and full. It is presumed full can do more stuff.

A security review should be a comprehensive check of many areas. Thus a
holistic approach, and at a tech level should include checks like the
following

- buffer overflow attacks against client and server
- clear text packet sniffing
- usual sql injection and other auth bypass methods. (cookie/session/fags)

Also because a part of the application (the client) is a local binary, i
think
it is important to do 'other' checks for attacks that may allow;
- admin (god)
- access to extra features
- more 'time/credits/funds' etc (kisok type thing)
- local storage of credentials. clear text files / databases

These checks could include the following;
- binary R/E.
* Traditional cracking methods
- window enabling
* sending wm_enable to enable buttons etc.
- message forging
* 'option' on a menu will send a message to the parent/activewindow. Even if
the
menu is disabled/nonvisible, the parent window may still accept and dispatch
the
message.

We did a test once where the 'low access' client app could be forced to
allow
user management.

Brett.