Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Reverse Engineering thoughts

From: "n30" <n30_lists () hotmail com>
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2004 10:36:37 -0800

Hello Folks,

Just wanted your opinion.

Say I am pen-testing an application...It requires authentication credentials
to run. Also, the software has a demo mode & full version mode.

Now using RE (Reverse engineering), I can change the ASM & create a small
patch file to bypass the auth & convert the demo mode to full version mode.

Is this a security problem?? What should be my recommendation??

This is assuming that I work for a pen test firm & the company wants us to
test their product. So I should not be affected by DMCA?? Am i right??

Thanks in advance
-N