Penetration Testing mailing list archives

RE: john the ripper

From: Charles Clancy <clancy () www missl cs umd edu>
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2003 14:03:17 -0500 (EST)

If you're introducing a smartcard, you might as well just use public-key
authentication.

[ t. charles clancy ]--[ tcc () umd edu ]--[ www.cs.umd.edu/~clancy ]

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003, Jason Watson wrote:

Hi people,

For a few years I have had this idea in my head about a secure(er)
authentication system to that of telling the user the password.  My system
is basically still a password system but it uses a key-card to access (there
are several of these systems out there).  the password is then stored by PGP
(GnuPGP) in a 1024 bit hash, everyday at a "random" time the password server
sends a new (encrypted of course) key to the card reader which stores the
new password on it's magnetic strip).  Everytime the password is read a new
password is sent.  This would easily allow for 1000 character passwords, in
turn increasing system security dramatically.  Passwords alone are never
going to secure systems but every little-bit helps.

Kind regards,

Jason Watson.

Okay, I hear what you're saying about the amount of time being used and
all... but..

If your users are like the ones I've seen, that "reasonably strong"
password (such as &Y6N8gg0 -- presumably strong) is just going to get
written down on a sticky tab and put on the users monitor or under their
keyboard.  The point is, while you've done a great job creating a strong
keyspace which is difficult to break, I may open up a bigger problem.
The goal is to get through the proverbial wall.  Whether I do that by
breaking through the bricks or scaling it or just going around, it
doesn't really matter to me.  If I make the wall thicker, that just
moves the problem -- I'm still interested in getting to the other side,
and I know I won't be able break through it, so off I go to find a
different solution...

Just my thoughts.