Penetration Testing mailing list archives

RE: john the ripper

From: Tony Kava <securityfocus () pottcounty com>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 17:12:52 -0600

-----Original Message-----
From: Giacomo [mailto:badgiaco () supereva it]
Sent: Thursday, 04 December, 2003 05:21
To: fbr
Cc: pen-test () securityfocus com
Subject: Re: john the ripper

fbr wrote:

The following benchmarks are all "FreeBSD MD5 [32/32]" tests done with
john.

Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.20GHz
5903 c/s real, 5903 c/s virtual

Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.40GHz
4094 c/s real, 4355 c/s virtual

Pentium III (Coppermine)
2455 c/s real, 2455 c/s virtual

Can anyone provide any Athlon benchmarks?

-Forrest

On Tuesday 02 December 2003 04:52 am, Giacomo wrote:

I think that test isn't true, how It can know the speed to crack 2 or 8
character password ?
In my cpu athlon xp 2500 barton (1833mhz) john -test show me 5308c/s
(real and virtual) but in the reality it is cracking at 3500c/s
(incremental:All after days)

The test is just a benchmark.  Your mileage may vary.  You should notice a
gradual decrease in speed as your incremental cracking works it way up to
more complex passwords.  I put together my own Perl-based system to
distribute cracking with a web interface for monitoring the progress.  Using
MRTG to graph the rate will show you a nice downward curve.  If you are
trying all characters you may want to reconsider based on the system from
which the password was taken.

--
Tony Kava
Network Administrator