Penetration Testing mailing list archives

RE: http fingerprinting

From: "Dieter Sarrazyn" <dsr () ascure com>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 11:41:24 +0200

Hi,

I'm not sure if it's this you're looking for but a little trick I used
with such a webserver was the following:

The webserver didn't give away it's type & version when I used nc or
telnet to grab it's banners but the following did work:

Start a sniffer (e.g. ethereal) and browse to the website (on the same
host). Then use the follow tcp stream function of ethereal on the first
Syn, Syn/Ack, Ack combination and you should see the server version. At
least this worked in my case, something worth to try?

Regards,
Dieter