Penetration Testing mailing list archives

RE: How to Tackle the Legal Tangle?

From: Steve <steve () securesolutions org>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 16:33:36 -0400

I agree with Dan.

Most organizations will have spent the money to have a "Standard Terms & Conditions" or "Letter of Understanding" drafted that can be attached to proposals and used as a get out of jail free card. In general, I will not start any work for a client, even if it is not a Pen-Test before they have signed this document. This accomplishes two things (if the document is drafted properly) it commits the clients to my proposal (and fees) and it shows that the client accepts the dangers of performing certain tasks. Also, be sure that the person signing the document is an authorized signing agent for the client in question.

Its a pain in the ass, and lawyers are expensive but make sure that you lawyer knows that you want the document to be general enough that you can use it for any client with little modification.

Regards;

Steve Manzuik
Moderator - VulnWatch
www.vulnwatch.org