Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Using Airsnort through vmware on Red Hat 7.1

From: Andrew Brown <atatat () atatdot net>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 23:13:45 -0400

Hmmm, VMW just plain uses the host NIC.
The 'bridging' is done by VMW, and just hooks the NIC
driver and multiplexes it to all the client OSes with matching MACs or with
the NIC set promiscuous.

i don't see what bridging has to do with making airsnort work...but
bridging would require an interface to be in "promiscuous" mode in
order to work (ie, to be able to pick up unicast packets addressed to
another host's mac addr).

And I thought that "monitor=read-only" was dependant on the device.  Anyone
know one that can be promiscuous and TX at the same time? (bearing in mind
it's broadcast technology anyway!)

the lucent cards that say "wavelan" seem to work for me.  the lucent
cards that say "orinoco" don't.

--
|-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----|
codewarrior () daemon org             * "ah!  i see you have the internet

This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert (SIA)
Service. For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA service which
automatically alerts you to the latest security vulnerabilities please see:
https://alerts.securityfocus.com/