Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Security Audit

From: Forrest Rae <forrest () code-lab com>
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2001 14:52:15 -0500

Hi Todd,

You bring up some very good questions:  :-)  When I say vulnerability
assessment, I should have added "Automated" to the beginning.

What is the difference between vuln assessment and pen test?

IMHO: It's a fine line between assessing possible access points and
entering access points.

I have not done either but this seems like a highly subjective area to me.

Agreed

Are you really going to do a vuln assess on a dynamic web site - with all
its custom scripts and database connectivity and possibly middleware - in 20
minutes?

I mentioned "Once Over" for a reason.  :P  This is just a base to work
from.  Some customers want a view of 30,000 feet, some want a 100 feet.

It sounds like a vuln assess consists of running Nessus or
something similar, searching bugtraq archives and possibly throwing in a
google search for extra credit.

Yes, that is basically one way you can accomplish it.  Nessus is a great
tool when used properly can accomplish wonderful things.  (Baby Sit
Children, Leap Tall Buildings, etc :-P )  Although, I wouldn't recommend
giving customers canned nessus reports.  ;-)

Even on a workstation it seems like you couldn't get much done in 20
minutes.  I don't even see how you could reliably enumerate all the
installed software in less than 20 minutes.

Are you going to really enumerate all installed software without
penetrating the computer?

-Forrest

This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert (SIA)
Service. For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA service which
automatically alerts you to the latest security vulnerabilities please see:
https://alerts.securityfocus.com/