Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Security Audit

From: "Todd Ransom" <transom () extremelogic com>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2001 13:11:40 -0400

A good estimate of time for a "Once Over" breaks down like this:

Vulnerability Assessment:
20 minutes per host

Penetration Test:
1 Hour per host

What is the difference between vuln assessment and pen test?

I have not done either but this seems like a highly subjective area to me.
Are you really going to do a vuln assess on a dynamic web site - with all
its custom scripts and database connectivity and possibly middleware - in 20
minutes?  It sounds like a vuln assess consists of running Nessus or
something similar, searching bugtraq archives and possibly throwing in a
google search for extra credit.

Even on a workstation it seems like you couldn't get much done in 20
minutes.  I don't even see how you could reliably enumerate all the
installed software in less than 20 minutes.

TR

This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert (SIA)
Service. For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA service which
automatically alerts you to the latest security vulnerabilities please see:
https://alerts.securityfocus.com/