Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: FW: RE Modem identification

From: Pawel Krawczyk <kravietz () aba krakow pl>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 12:55:00 +0200

On Tue, Sep 25, 2001 at 10:01:01AM +0200, Dawes, Rogan (ZA - Johannesburg) wrote:

I started writing a War Dialler in Perl for Unix/Linux that would simply
take a list of numbers and dial them, recording the banners, and doing a bit
of prompting to stimulate banners if none were forthcoming. But one of the
things that I have no idea how to do is the "Automatic Parity conversion"
that Tone-LOC did, when connecting to a different parity modem.

This works probably by trying all possible encodings (8N1, 7E1 etc.)
and looking at the result. Whichever seems to be plain ASCII, is probably
the right guess.

--
Paweł Krawczyk *** home: <http://ceti.pl/~kravietz/>
security: <http://ipsec.pl/>  *** fidonet: 2:486/23

This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert (SIA)
Service. For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA service which
automatically alerts you to the latest security vulnerabilities please see:
https://alerts.securityfocus.com/