Penetration Testing mailing list archives

RE: Security Audit

From: "Dom De Vitto" <Dom () DeVitto com>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2001 19:52:26 +0100

From: Phil Cracknell [mailto:phil () orthus com]
<SNIP>
Other problem can be also giving away
models and methods, because there are many
smartasses that are just looking
after knowledge to do the job themselfs.

We have a methodology and would not hesitate in giving it to our clients,
we
do so regularly, and we also abstract from this a detailed test plan for
them. These documents allow for some form of measurement in all of this
and
as a result if a cowboy tries to sell them a $500 remote scan they have
something to compare it too.

Great I think the cowboys/salesfolk all need lining up against a wall...

The 'right' sort of client will have already identified that doing the job
themselves is not the right approach I would hope, regardless of how smart
their ass is.

Nope, I totally disagree.  If the company can afford to spend circa $150,000
pa
on a _good_ consultant, that consultant will know more about their
infrastructure,
technologies, software and risks than any "one week wonder".  They'll also
gauge
risk accurately for *that* company, e.g. which is worse - intrusion or DOS ?
For (say) a retailer, a small intrusion will cost them a lot less than a
total DOS,
but for a bank the reverse is likely to be true....for instance.

It's nice to have fresh young 'uns that can "walk-the-walk" - if you
can't...

But frankly it's far better value to get a permanent, 100% security guru
to do the work, and give them the responsibility to monitor and enforce a
level
of security before, before and after infrastructure goes live.

Saying that a smart client is never as good as a consultant assumes the
cream
of the security set (ahem) haven't gone "permie"...
...say, for a quite indecent amount of cash :-)

Dom

This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert (SIA)
Service. For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA service which
automatically alerts you to the latest security vulnerabilities please see:
https://alerts.securityfocus.com/