Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Security Audit

From: H C <keydet89 () yahoo com>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2001 17:49:38 -0700 (PDT)

For the most part, I agree with Ben's comments.  For
completeness, a system can be as secure as possible if
a vulnerability assessment of that system is
conducted, and that information is then used to launch
a "full disclosure pen-test" or perhaps more
appropriately, a "verification analysis".

However, like anything else, this is only a snapshot
of the system in time.  We then get into the change
control/management process, and where verification
testing fits in such a process.

But any "analysis" process should include external
verification - ie that
the box is doing what you told it to do, right?

This is quite distinct from the traditional pen-test
in that it isn't blind.

I think that to create the most secure system
possible, blind pen-testing is
a waste of time -