Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: 802.11B and libpcap

From: Bill Pennington <billp () boarder org>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 15:14:54 -0700

You can get the patches you need at Newsham's site
http://www.lava.net/~newsham/wlan. Plus Ethereal patches that are pretty
slick.

The "special" thing about PRISM II cards is the source code for
promiscuous mode is readily available. I have the SMC 2632w that works
well. I hear the D-Link card is pretty easy to add an external antenna
interface to, my SMC does not have the an external antenna connection.

Hope that helps!

Ronny Vaningh wrote:

Hi

I want to capture the 802.11B link layer data with etherreal.
I've read that you need to patch your libpcap for use with 802.11B
networks.

However on the tcpdump site I could not find any pointers to this
subject.

Could anybody help me out here.

Also, what is so special in the PRISMII cards that airsnort only works
with them, and can you recommend any card in particular.

Thanks

Ronny Vaningh
Ronny () -do-no-spam-netrusion com

This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert (SIA)
Service. For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA service which
automatically alerts you to the latest security vulnerabilities please see:
https://alerts.securityfocus.com/

--

Bill Pennington - CISSP