Penetration Testing mailing list archives

RE: 802.11B and libpcap

From: Leif Sawyer <lsawyer () gci com>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 08:38:57 -0800

From: Frank Knobbe [mailto:FKnobbe () KnobbeITS com]
From: Robert van der Meulen [mailto:rvdm () cistron nl]
Sent: Monday, September 17, 2001 9:37 AM

As far as i know, monitor mode allows for monitoring of raw
802.11 traffic without having identified/associated with an AP.
Promiscuous mode means 'capture all packets you recieve';
'monitor mode' means 'capture all 802.11 data you recieve'.
[when associated to an AP] [...]

thanks, that explains it. Now the next question is: Is anyone aware
of a matrix that shows which card currently on the market has driver
support for a) monitor mode, b) for promiscuous mode?
[...] It would be great if someone already has a web page with a
capability matrix....

Yes, and with features as well, such as 802.11 and/or 802.11b
capabilities.

( Currently i've got a Raylink WLAN card, which is only 802.11, and I'd
like to get a new card which supports promisc and monitor mode (which
i'm sure this does, but how?, because you can use it as an AP) and
has capable drivers under linux.

I'd be happy to start a page, if people want to email me with the
card they're using, what network (.11 or .11b), what drivers (urls would
be great too!), what OS, and what modes it supports with the drivers
(data/promisc/rf monitor)

Leif

This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert (SIA)
Service. For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA service which
automatically alerts you to the latest security vulnerabilities please see:
https://alerts.securityfocus.com/