Penetration Testing mailing list archives

RE: Penetration test report - your comments please?

From: railwayclubposse () hushmail com
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 15:03:09 -0500 (EDT)

Zebra (http://www.zebra.org/) is great for testing protocols like IGMP (and
other routing protocols).

pete [mailto:pete () ideahamster org] wrote:

his pen test posted on Security Focuses' Pen-Test mailing list brings up
the question of the testing of protocols as to the OSSTMM
(http://www.osstmm.org) and the reliability of NMAP's protocol scanning.
 As
I apply the module "Port Scanning" the tasks for protocol identification
are
a bit difficult to automate.  Of course, NMAP claims to do it but I
consistantly get at least IGMP for most systems which I do have difficulty
with accepting.  I use NMAP for many of the tasks in that section but hav
been hesitant on the protocol testing.  Of course a bit of scripting will
automate some but while I was a bit hesitant about NMAP's results I thought
I would ask what others thought of this.

Sincerely,
-pete.

Free, encrypted, secure Web-based email at www.hushmail.com