Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] Finding a Windows machine that a user is logged into

From: Mike Sues <msues () cinnabar ca>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 07:34:37 -0800

Hello,

you need to send a NetBIOS name query for the NetBIOS
service RDAWES<0x03>. This is the Messenger service (i.e.
type 0x03) for the username in question. If the client uses
WINS send the query to the WINS server. Otherwise if the
suspected client is on the same subnet, to the broadcast
address; the client will then respond. If its not on the
same subnet and WINS is not used, if you have a range of
IP addresses, send a name query for RDAWES<0x03> to each
IP address; the client will then respond.

If the user is logged into more than one client, you can only
locate the first client; the netbios Name Registrations for
RDAWES<0x03> for the 2d, 3rd, etc. logins will fail ... the
service is already registered.

Some simple mods to nmblookup should implement these probes;
there may be other tools available too.

Mike Sues
Senior Network Security Analyst
Cinnabar Networks Inc