Penetration Testing mailing list archives

[PEN-TEST] Finding a Windows machine that a user is logged into

From: "Dawes, Rogan (ZA - Johannesburg)" <rdawes () DELOITTE CO ZA>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 10:07:54 +0200

Hi Folks,

As part of a demonstration I want to do, I need to find a Windows client
that a particular user is logged in to.

e.g. on a Windows network, user rdawes is logged in somewhere. I need the IP
address, so that I can snoop the traffic that he is generating.

It is clearly possible to get this info, as for example tools like "net send
rdawes message" do it.  Having done that, I can look in my machine cache
using "nbtstat -c" to see who I've been talking to.

This is a bit obtrusive, though. I don't want to warn the user that I am
watching them, which the "net send" would do.

Does anyone have an idea how I can do this quietly?

Rogan