Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] Cobalt Raq II - Unprotected Admin Pages

From: Gossi The Dog <gossi () OWNED LAB6 COM>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 01:00:47 +0100

On Sun, 25 Mar 2001, H D Moore wrote:

On the topic of RAQ's, I thought I would throw this one out.

On older RAQ installs (maybe new ones too, havent checked), you can access a
couple items in the administration interface without logging in:

Current system load: /cgi-bin/.cobalt/cpuUsage/loadavg.cgi
Legato Backup Server: /cgi-bin/.cobalt/networker/networker.cgi
Telnet Usage: /cgi-bin/.cobalt/telnetUsage/telnetUsage.cgi

Yikes.  This appears to indeed work on RaQ2's.  It doesn't work on RaQ3's
- there's correct .htaccess files in place, which require the admin
password to access the relevant pages.

Of course, that relies on the system administrator changing the admin
password...

I don't have a RaQ4i to check this, however I'd presume its patched there.

I'll forward this mail onto Cobalt (now owned by Sun Microsystems)
security to make sure they actually know (since they've fixed the issue
in later versions of the OS I'd presume so).

Gossi.