Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] subnet discovery

From: Fyodor <fyodor () INSECURE ORG>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 16:51:03 -0800

On Tue, 20 Mar 2001, Gary E. Miller wrote:

That is NOT necessarily the version of IPSO running.  That is just the
best guess from nmap.  Last I checked nmap had no new sig for any other
IPSO version than 3.2

That is an excellent point.  When I add a new fingerprint I am generally
very specific with the level of detail included (eg "NOKIA IPSO 3.2-fcs4
releng 783").  The idea is that feedback will allow me to generalize it as
far as necessary (eg people mailing me saying "my IPSO 3.3 box was
recognized by Nmap as 3.2").

I have to do it this way, because starting general and slowly becoming
more specific doesn't work.  If I just put "Nokia IPSO", the Nmap
recognition will appear correct and nobody is going to write me saying "I
have found that one of the IPSO fingerprints is specific to 3.2".

But this only works if people send feedback.  There are 500 fingerprints
distributed with Nmap, and I only have about a dozen machines on my test
network.  And none of them are IPSOs.

So if you ever see a machine that you know to be X reported as Y (even
when the difference is minor like kernel 2.4.0 vs. 2.4.1) please send me a
quick note.  I can modify nmap-os-fingerprints in 10 seconds and it will
be effective as of the next release.  The only times we wouldn't want such
a report is when:

a) you know you are scanning through a NAT, IP-packet-rewriting load
balancer, transparent proxy, or other network obstruction.  Of course
normal routers and packet filters are not a problem.

b) you aren't fairly certain that the OS is what you think -- don't guess

c) If nmap tells you "test conditions non-ideal" or "OS detection will be
MUCH less reliable" or "OS detection may be less accurate"

d) You are using an ancient version of Nmap.  The latest is always
available at http://www.insecure.org/nmap/ .

Unless any of those apply, I'd love to hear about inaccurate results and
will adjust the fingerprint file appropriately.  Send them to me directly
at fyodor () insecure org .  Please do specify your Nmap version (nmap -V)
and whatever details you have about the misdiagnosed machine.  An IP
address is useful for testing but not required.  Nmap OS fingerprinting
wouldn't even approach its current level of accuracy if it wasn't for all
the fingerprints and corrections people have sent in.  And there is always
plenty of room for improvement!

Cheers,
Fyodor
http://www.insecure.org/