Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: SAM file editing

From: "SMILER" <smiler () pthost com>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 14:57:01 +0100

The problem is not that Ms auth does not check the domain, the fact is that
MS allways send your current password when accessing a new resource that
needs authentication.
This is considered a "feature" because it allows u to login into many
servers without authentication IF username/password in the server is equal
to the one that u´re currently using.
This kind of  "feature" allows a attack such as :

"if u try to acess my machine, say by typing : \\my.ip.address\myshare$ ",
your machine will send the HASH of your current password by default before
querying u for a password. If your current password fails, then it will ask
for auth. In this case I could capture your HASH and decrypt your pass and
the user would not ever dream that your machine had sent the current
password to my server.

Keep Smiling

smiler () vxd org