Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Identifying Machines

From: Ryan Russell <ryan () securityfocus com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 15:55:54 -0600 (MDT)

On Tue, 19 Jun 2001, Rick Who Else? wrote:

Let me clarify somewhat. Lets imagine a scenario, of being on a seperate
network of your target network. So sniffing traffic and MAC addresses don't
apply. And you wish to see how many machines on are a certain subnet. So you
wish to scan the entire range of a class C, lets say. ICMP is filtered out.
And some of the machines  may have no ports open. What I mean by that, as
someone asked, would be no services running on any port. Therefore there are
no banners.

If you can't get any output from the machine at all, then you can't
identify it.  It may be off, disconnected from the net, or non-existant
for all you know.

For the hypothetical situation to work, you have to have something... ICMP
unreachable packets, it generates a reverse-DNS lookup when you hit it,
something..

                                                Ryan