Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Identifying Machines

From: "Rick Who Else?" <myworld () hotmail com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 08:55:34 -0400

Let me clarify somewhat. Lets imagine a scenario, of being on a seperate network of your target network. So sniffing traffic and MAC addresses don't apply. And you wish to see how many machines on are a certain subnet. So you wish to scan the entire range of a class C, lets say. ICMP is filtered out. And some of the machines may have no ports open. What I mean by that, as someone asked, would be no services running on any port. Therefore there are no banners.

Thanks for all the replies so far.