Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Identifying Machines

From: Blake Frantz <blake () mc net>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 21:43:49 -0500 (CDT)

Hello,

Provided the target machine is generating *some* type of traffic
and you have the ability to sniff, passive OS fingerprinting would provide
some information about the host.  If my memory serves me, Nelson Brito
<nelson () secunet com br> released a PERL script some time ago called
signatures.pl that does just this -- I have the script but I misplaced
'fingerprint.db', the scripts counterpart.

Lance Spitzner wrote a paper describing techniques to perform passive
fingerprinting which can be downloaded at:
http://packetstorm.securify.com/papers/IDS/fingerprinting.txt

Last but not least Jose Nazario has a similar documnet in pdf format which
can be downloaded from:
http://packetstorm.securify.com/papers/protocols/passive.pdf

Hope this helps,

-Blake