Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: snmp vulnerablities

From: H Carvey <keydet89 () yahoo com>
Date: 14 Jul 2001 13:50:18 -0000

Hi there. how do you exploit or gain access
from vulnerable host using snmp
vulnerablities. I've tried to used this command
but its not work :

I'm not sure why you would try sending 'echo'
commands to the SNMP agent...do any agents
have a vulnerability that will allow them to
write to the drive?

I have always seen SNMP as a great recon
protocol, especially when it is misconfigured
(ie, default community strings, no restrictions
on management stations, etc).  On Win2K, you
can enum usernames, services, TCP/UDP info,
etc.

Systems running SNMP can divulge
information...if they are misconfigured.  This
is why many people call SNMP a 'dangerous'
protocol.  As with anything else, some simple
configuration steps can fix that.  Yes, if
someone installs a sniffer and captures some
datagrams containing your SNMPv1 read-write
community string, you could most definitely
have problems (though I doubt that those
problems include the ability to write to the
drive).  However, if someone is able to load a
sniffer on your network, you've got other
problems to worry about...

This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert (SIA)
Service For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA service which
automatically alerts you to the latest security vulnerabilities please see:
https://alerts.securityfocus.com/