Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: snmp vulnerablities

From: Jon DeShirley <jond () uidaho edu>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 10:58:28 -0700 (PDT)

I can only assume that the original poster was trying to exploit a bug
in HP's OpenView SNMP trap daemon.  This bug was posted to BugTraq
about a month ago.  (http://www.securityfocus.com/archive/1/189616 for
those interested)

However, I haven't been able to verify that this bug actually exists
since HP does not have any record of the patch mentioned in the
advisory.  The original advisory also mentions that the binary is suid
root, however, in my experience it drops it's privledges and runs as
bin.  bin isn't quite as nice as root, but it would work for spawning a
remote shell above 1024 with another inetd daemon (as the original
poster was trying).

--jon

On 16 Jul, mht () clark net wrote:
I have to agree with HC on this one, I can't remember echo being in the
list of SNMP Basic functions :

1. GET REQUEST
2. GET NEXT REQUEST
3. SET REQUEST
4. GET RESPONSE
5. TRAP MESSAGE

Is the original poster referring to an older type of networked device (i.e.
OpenRoute, Proteon, Gator, WellFleet) that previously prompted the user
with > in order to set the SNMP options???

*scratching head**