Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: snmp vulnerablities

From: H C <keydet89 () yahoo com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 13:56:18 -0700 (PDT)

Ron,

Very interesting input regarding SNMP, though I'm not
really too clear on what it has to do with the
original author's use of 'echo' statements in an SNMP
utility.

One question though...when you downloaded the router
config, could this activity have been prevented by
proper configuration of the router itself?  Since you
didn't specify the method used (SNMP?), I thought I'd
ask for clarification.

Thanks,

Carv

--- Ron Russell <ron () siliconbuddha com> wrote:
SNMP can also be used to write configuration
parameters to Cisco Routers as
well (assuming you have the read/write community
string).  I have actually
successfully downloaded a router config, unencrypted
the hash for the
passwords, and telnetted into the router.  I'm sure
that there are multiple
other security vulnerabilities here as well.

Ron Russell - MCSE, CCNA, CNE
480-6-Buddha
Silicon Buddha LLC
Enlightened Network Services
www.siliconbuddha.com
Offering Free Vulnerability Assessments from the
deserts of Phoenix Arizona