Penetration Testing mailing list archives

[PEN-TEST] Administrivia

From: Alfred Huger <ah () SECURITYFOCUS COM>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 08:08:17 -0700

Hey all,

I wanted to run through a few things based off user questions and concerns
lately.

1. Auto-responders

We tent to get *alot* of them. I cull my lists weekly but this regrettably
is not enough. For those of you out there please head off on vacation,
please, please learn how to configure your auto-responders. It is your
responsibility to do so, if not you will manage to be removed from all of
the SecurityFocus lists to reduce our noise. It is not complicated to set
these things up but it may require a little reading on your part - for the
sake of everyone else sanity and just plain politeness - config your
auto-responders.

2. HTML Mail

I will not allow HTML mail accross any of the lists I manage. I should not
have to explain to this crowd why HTML mail poses a security risk. While I
think it's unlikely anyone would mess about with malicious HTML on these
lists I haven't the time to check each peice of mail ergo no HTML.

3. Word Documents

I cannot process them accross the lists, please send only plain text.
Same idea as HTML mail.

3. Lazy Posts

I tend to be fairly critical approving posts in the form of questions
where the answers could be had if the user searched any number of security
sites or even altavista etc. These lists are here to help, but everyone
needs to make some effort. Research and *then* bring a question to the
list. A good place to start would be the archives of the list you want to
post the question to.

4. Product Endorsements

Please remember that product endorsements (from a vendor in marketing
terms) are not acceptable accross any of the lists. If a vendor wishs to
post a purely technical post about a product this is perfectly fine and
even encouraged. Vendors can further announce products on the Pen-Test and
Forensics mailing lists. So long as the hype is low and the technical
content high.

5. Service endorsements

If it's free and relavent to the community, post it. If not, don't.

Cheers,
-al

"Vae Victis"
SecurityFocus.com