Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Password Brute Forcer

From: Ryan Russell <ryan () securityfocus com>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 14:04:09 -0700 (MST)

On Fri, 7 Dec 2001, Ian Lyte wrote:

What I was wondering was is there a password cracker that substitutes
numbers for letters?

Sure, crack has done this for a long time:
http://www.users.dircon.co.uk/~crypto/

As an example, we all know people do tend to use words as a password,
occasionally improving their strength with the use of numbers i.e.
password99. I also think that a lot of people may use p4ssw0rd.

If you really want to do this with L0phtcrack, then it would be pretty
easy to write a program that would take a dictionary file, and output a
new (larger) dictionary with the number substitutions done.

                                                Ryan

This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert (SIA)
Service. For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA service which
automatically alerts you to the latest security vulnerabilities please see:
https://alerts.securityfocus.com/