Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: NT/IIS decoy

From: Michael Katz <mike () procinct com>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 13:34:09 -0800

At 12/7/2001 03:52 AM, Taiye Lambo wrote:

Does anyone know how to hide or mask the identity of a IIS 4.0 or 5.0 server such that if a "GET" command is issued following a telnet to the server on port 80, the server will display a different server type so as to hide it's true identity.

I searched the IIS installation drive using the following strings - Microsoft-IIS/4.0 and Microsoft-IIS/5.0 The result was a file called w3svc.dll which is aparently the IIS world wide web publishing service, I manually stopped this service, backed up the file and then ammended it to reflect my decoy server type, however, next time I attempt to start the service it failed. I have heard of honey pot type program that can also achieve my desired result, but never actually played with one myself.

Has anyone come across this and does anyone know of any solution for what I am trying to achieve.

Taiye,

With IIS4 on Windows NT 4.0, you can edit the w3svc.dll file using a hex editor and change the relevant string to something else.

You cannot do this with IIS 5 on Windows 2000, unless you disable Windows File Protection.

However, you can use the tool URLscan (now IIS Lockdown) from Microsoft with either IIS4 on NT or IIS5 on Windows 2000, to modify the server header response. According to the documentation: "Also, UrlScan provides the administrator with the option of deleting or altering the "Server:" header in the response."

You can obtain URLScan from http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/URLScan.asp

Note that URLScan has been integrated into the Lockdown tool previously released from MS and is now called the IIS Lockdown Wizard version 2.1. It was released on November 14, 2001.

Michael Katz
mike () procinct com
Procinct Security

This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert (SIA)
Service. For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA service which
automatically alerts you to the latest security vulnerabilities please see:
https://alerts.securityfocus.com/