Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: sniffing X traffic.

From: Don Bailey <baileydl () mitre org>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 10:11:36 -0400

Another thing for a poor man to do is run tcpdump filtering on the X
port range (6000-6010), then take the capture file and use Ethereal to
look at the ascii in the particular tcp streams.  This is quick and
dirty but reveals plenty of info in the case of a remote xterm being the
sniffed X app.

Sincerely,

Don

Power Steve wrote:

Hey all

long time listener, first time caller.

Anyone know if you can meaningfully sniff Exceed ( I guess it's the same as
X) traffic?  Im being a bit lame, my personal test lab is down atm, and I
cant find anything on the net re sniffing and interpreting X traffic.

If anyone would be so kind as to answer a specific question, could I see
passwords etc in the traffic?

thanks in advance.

Steve Power
Security Consultant

Legal Disclaimer:-

Please be aware that messages sent over
the Internet may not be secure and should
not be seen as forming a legally binding
contract unless otherwise stated.

This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert (SIA)
Service. For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA service which
automatically alerts you to the latest security vulnerabilities please see:
https://alerts.securityfocus.com/

--
Don Bailey
Senior INFOSEC Engineer/Scientist