Penetration Testing mailing list archives

RE: sniffing X traffic.

From: "Lodin, Steven {GZ-Q~Mannheim}" <STEVEN.LODIN () Roche COM>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 17:35:35 +0200

Anyone know if you can meaningfully sniff Exceed ( I guess
it's the same as
X) traffic?  Im being a bit lame, my personal test lab is
down atm, and I
cant find anything on the net re sniffing and interpreting X traffic.

There is a program called xscan that does this.  I have used this on Sol8 as well.  Yes, you can see typed in
passwords!  From the readme.txt file:

XSCAN for unix.
Tested under SunOS 4.1.4 and Linux.

What does this do?

        This proggie scans hosts or subnets looking for unsecured X clients.
If it finds one it starts logging all keystrokes to that session. Very simple.

Usage:

Examples:

        Scan a single host:

                xscan wsx-nc1-14.ix.netcom.com

        Scan multiple hosts:

                xscan netcom6.netcom.com www.escape.com

Steve Lodin
Head of Global IT Security and Risk Management
Roche Diagnostics
(W) +49-621-759-5276
(M) +49-173-348-4974

This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert (SIA)
Service. For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA service which
automatically alerts you to the latest security vulnerabilities please see:
https://alerts.securityfocus.com/