Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] ICMP push

From: Andrés Omella Alfredo <aandres () MFOM ES>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 18:08:00 +0200

Hi Oliver,

Oliver Petruzel [18/09/00 17:36]:
Has anyone ever heard of a tool named "ICMPpush"? or something similar?
which works a s an ICMP-specific packet builder for various ICMP types.

Yes, I heard ;) but i think you may take a look to SING, http://www.sourceforge.
net/projects/sing
SING is better than ICMPush.

I suppose the ICMPush author don't worry about my opinion (i'm sure). xDDDD

It is my understanding (or lack thereof) that on dummy terms or other
hosts which may (firewall or otherwise) prevent normal ICMP traffic, may
indeed allow other types through for various "are you alive?" purposes.

Take a look to the very good paper "ICMP usage in scanning" from Ofir Arkin
http://www.sys-security.com/

Alfredo.

Alfredo.