Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] ICMP push

From: Mordechai Ovits <movits () OVITS NET>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 12:09:47 -0400

On Mon, Sep 18, 2000 at 11:36:03AM -0400, Oliver Petruzel wrote:
Dearest compadres, again.

Has anyone ever heard of a tool named "ICMPpush"? or something similar?
which works a s an ICMP-specific packet builder for various ICMP types.

I've never heard of it.  But I do know of hping2 which allows arbitrary
packet creation from the command line.  Really nifty.

It is my understanding (or lack thereof) that on dummy terms or other
hosts which may (firewall or otherwise) prevent normal ICMP traffic, may
indeed allow other types through for various "are you alive?" purposes.

Yeah, some networking setups require some ICMP types.  For example, you
should think twice before disallowing incoming HOST UNREACHABLE messages.

correct me, please! if I am wrong.

./Oliver