Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] Evaluating Auditors Abilities

From: "Benjamin P. Grubin" <bgrubin () GUARDENT COM>
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2000 16:28:10 -0400

While certifications can be extremely important to showing mastery of
conceptual material, which is essential for high-level tasks, they do very
little to assess the true practical capabilities of the practitioner.  In
security, the CISSP is indeed a good set of guidelines for assessing
familiarity with a broad range of security concepts, but in terms of
determining the skill level of assessment or attack and intrusion personnel,
these certifications do very little to judge skill level.

The best ways to select potential auditing, assessment or attack &
penetration people is to:

a) obtain and check references
b) generate a technical interview guide that covers the specific
technologies that your company uses, and have a technical employee conduct
the interviews
c) reputation

Cheers,
Ben

Benjamin P. Grubin            bgrubin () guardent com
Guardent, Inc.             http://www.guardent.com

"The world isn't run by weapons anymore, or energy, or money.  It's run by
little ones and zeros, little bits of data.. it's all just electrons."