Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] Evaluating Auditors Abilities

From: "Khan, Mansoor" <Mansoor.Khan () INVESTORSGROUP COM>
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2000 09:08:33 -0500

I have seen some interesting comments shared on this topic and I agree
with most of them.  The issue of how to evaluate auditors
abilities/competency level is an interesting one.  In fact this is not
only true for auditors but also for other professionals who are willing
to provide their professional services to your organization.

We have already seen responses on how we should go about hiring some one
for pene testing or other engagements of this sort e.g. performing
reference checks, reviewing their credentials (resume etc.), their
clientele, etc.  One thing that I would like to point out is that
auditors or other security consultants are professionally required
(though not mandatory) to share their findings with their auditees
before reporting on them.  This step is considered to be a best
practice.  Being a professional auditor myself, I know we have always
done this with our auditees.  In some cases we also issue draft reports
and issue it only to the concerned individuals for discussions.  There
is a huge misconception that the more findings you have the better
auditor you are.

During the last two years, I have had the experience of hiring three
different consulting firms for assignments relating to security.  The
selection was made on the reputation of the firms, the professional
abilities of the individuals in their team, and reference checks.  Two
of these three firms are still in top 5 accounting firms.  The thrid one
is a small security consulting firm out in Alberta, Canada.  One of the
top five accounting firm that I had to deal with was BAD, to the extent
that we had to tell them about their weaknesses and the root cause of
their findings.  My impression was that it is not the firm that was bad
but the individuals working on the team.  However, my experience with
the other two team was not bad at all.  The individuals working for
their teams were very professional and knew about all the security
issues and were aware of all the false positives that these pene testing
tools spit out.

The reason I am sharing my experience with all of you is that you need
to do your best to ensure that you hire the right person but there are
no guarantees.  The only thing you can do to minimize the situation that
you had to encounter is to have "exit meetings" with your
auditors/security consultants and provide them with your feed back.

I hope this helps.

PS: David:  There is nothing wrong with hiring auditors for security
engagements.  What matters is the individual that you are hiring should
have the appropriate knowledge and experience.

MK