Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] Password Protection

From: "Jensen, Greg" <Greg_Jensen () NAI COM>
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2000 11:55:38 -0700

Please keep in mind that PGP also includes SDA's (Self Decrypting Archives).
This would allow you to provide a solution that encrypts and compresses the
data and can then be placed on CD.  When your customer wants to view the
data, they only need to know the shared passphrase. No client software is
required.

Now, the downfall of this is that you are only as strong as your weakest
link and the two weak links here is if you give your customer the passphrase
over an insecure medium (ie..e-mail, phone) or if the password you assign is
an easy to guess "word" instead of a long and complicated phrase.

It would be preferable to use private/public keys to do all of this, but
this would indeed require the end user to have a copy of PGP.  This is why
we developed SDA's.

Good luck!