Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] Looking for slides

From: "Haugsness, Kyle" <Kyle.Haugsness () QWEST COM>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 12:33:46 -0700

This may be what you are looking for.  The folks at the San Diego
Supercomputer Center (SDSC) did an experiment earlier this year.  It's a
good read.  Here's the link and summary...

http://security.sdsc.edu/incidents/worm.2000.01.18.shtml

On December 23, 1999, the folks at SDSC setup a RedHat 5.2 vanilla,
unsecured system (Pentium) on one of their networks.  The host was _not_
advertised to the world.  The first portscans were observed less than 8
hours later.  January 14-18 attackers tried over 20 exploits to vulnerable
services - these attacks failed (probably because they were for RedHat 6.0+
systems).  Someone got root in mid-February and installed a rootkit and
sniffer.  Someone else got root on February 18 and defaced the web site,
then reported to Attrition.

Regards,
Kyle