Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] Penetration Testing and Van Eck Scanning

From: Paweł Krawczyk <kravietz () CETI PL>
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2000 17:12:41 +0100

On Wed, Nov 08, 2000 at 03:59:11PM -0000, David Alexander wrote:

Ross Anderson at Cambridge University has produced a set of word processing
software that can defeat V-E scanning using software only. What you see on
the screen is not what you see in the van - it's unintelligible. I don't
know how it works and I have no idea if anyone is picking up on it
commercially.

It is actually a set of modified fonts that produce less TEMPEST visible
emanations on the screen. The paper by Markus Kuhn and Ross Anderson on
the software anti-TEMPEST measures (such like the fonts) can be found
at Markus' website:

        http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/ih98-tempest.pdf/

It of course can't be always successful, but it can make the
intelligence harder. AFAIK latest versions of NAI PGP use similiar fonts.

--
Paweł Krawczyk <http://ceti.pl/~kravietz/>