Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] Education. Formal or not?

From: Nicholas Harring <miniluv () MINILUV COM>
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2000 03:25:59 -0600

Being in somewhat the same boat, but at an earlier stage in the career path,
I've come up with the following reasons for my decision to get a college
degree..but also why I'm not choosing CompSci or a directly related field.

1) Education of any kind is immensely valuable, if not necessarily
realizable at first blush. Case in point, my last job actively chose to
implement a token ring network, for a variety of reasons. This was a
technology at which I scoffed when I had to read about it for some general
certification I was working towards. Suddenly I was greatly blessed and
looked bright as can be to my employers because I had learned about token
ring already and thus was able to contribute to the project from day one.

2) Computers and their applications, and the risks/vulnerabilities these
inherit, are no longer limited to the hard science world of pure
engineering, pure CompSci or pure programming anymore. Increasingly business
issues are interfering with "best practice" decisions regarding security,
implementation, redundancy, etc. Having a broader knowledge of the business
world, and the fields you might encounter in your career, can definitely
give you interesting insight which might allow you to perform your job
better. For example, if your knowledge of an industry allows you to be
familiar with a quirk of that business that requires a less than perfect
security solution to be implemented, then you're one step ahead with what
was seemingly unrelated knowledge. This is particularly true in industries
that are only beginning to learn about connecting to the Internet and
allowing customers to become part of the data sharing process. In my
experience these are industries like small-run printing and air freight
forwarding. I've been involved in both industries, and some of the solutions
I saw were truly uhm, amazing.

3) I decided to learn about what interests me, and find corrolations into
the field I actually want to work in, namely security. I'm becoming a
physics geek the more I learn about the field, and I'm beginning to see the
tie-ins, especially in the world of crypto, but also in other areas. Besides
which, regardless of the degree, if it sounds geeky it'll look good on a
resume, and that DOES make a difference. Things like physics, mathematics,
number theory, CompSci, EE, these all impress employers...and we have to
have jobs eh?

Anyhow...hope that helps.
Nick Harring
Webley Systems, Inc.