Penetration Testing mailing list archives

[PEN-TEST] snoop ona live telnet session?

From: Mike Ahern <mc_ahern () YAHOO COM>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 11:35:12 -0800

My 2 Cents:

I have used a number of tools to do what it sounds
like you are discussing. Of course you can use the
packet sniffers, but I prefer the products that give
you a "real view" of the telnet session on a screen.

My personal favorite is T-Sight from Engarde Software
which runs on NT, and allows for viewing, storing and
playback in real-time, as well as session hijack,
etc..

I have also used another product called Mimestar
SecureNet Pro which does the same thing under Linux. I
understand that "IP Watcher" from Engarde does the
same thing as well under Linux.

You can use sniffer products but they lack the real
world view of the session, tho they are adequate for
gathering passwords and other information, and great
for covert remote installs (I prefer Sniffit).

- mch

Question:
Does anyone know of a tool that will allow me to snoop
on a live telnet session?  I'd like to be able to run
this on a firewall to see sessions as they pass
through.  Sort of like what ethereal does with "follow
TCP Stream", but live.
Thanks!
Mordy