Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] NT Passwors Cracking

From: Ryan Russell <ryan () SECURITYFOCUS COM>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 10:17:37 -0800

On Wed, 29 Nov 2000, Beauregard, Claude Q wrote:

Question: I used to L0phtcrack to download the hashes from the registry of
an NT server. The password hashes are  Syskeyed so L0phtcrack isn't going to
work (I believe I'm correct on this). I don't have direct access to the NT
server the hashes were downloaded from. Is there a way to save the hashes to
a file and run the file through another utility that will decrypt the
hashes.

I'm not aware of any work that has been done on attacking the syskey
crypto algorithms.  There is a newer version of pwdump that will get the
real hashes if you've got a way to bo back to the machine to get another
dump.

                                        Ryan