Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] question

From: Mike Forrester <mikef () POCKETLINT COM>
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2000 12:40:50 -0700

I'd disable NetBIOS over TCP/IP.  When you first boot your box, do a
netstat -a or -an and see what's open.  I have my Win 98 box configured so
that it has NO open ports until I run something (IE, Outlook, etc.).  If you
need help binding NetBIOS from your NIC, let me know.

BTW - This question is probably better suited for the FOCUS-MS list than
PEN-TEST.  You'd probably get more feedback.

Mike